07 March 2010

The Old Tree


I was attracted to this old Madras Thorn tree that grows in a small park at the end of Kuo Chuan Ave, Katong. The trunk is huge and looks on the verge of being melted and its roots are protruding above the ground like tired veins of a hand. I sketched it one late evening, there was a young toddler playing, watched over by his grand parents. Before I could draw them into my sketch, they had disappeared. Many thanks to Tia for introducing me to USk, S'pore, and all her patient help to educate on the intricacies of manouvering inside the blog.

5 comments:

  1. Tuan Yong, congratulations to your first post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited about this. Will definately go and sketch more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I walk by this knobbly tree many times when I walk to Marine Parade from Katong. There used to be a quaint B&W kind of house at the corner. Unfortunately, the house had been pulled down replaced by a row of "modern" 3-storey houses.
    Keep sketching and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and welcome!! I know this tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, me always wanted to sit & sketch this tree - now i know its called madras - and wow, nice composition & mood of this beautiful ol tree! thx for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete