09 November 2010

Esplanade Theatre Lobby





The new architecture of Singapore rarely interests me as drawing subjects – I much prefer to sketch the weathered boards & chipped paint of old structures, and the classic lines of a KTM Station.
But Singapore’s Esplanade Theatre fascinates me, especially the main interior lobby, where beams, roof lines and the dome's windows seem to go every which way. I bring my drawing classes here to observe and draw the “planes and masses” of one of Singapore’s most unique structures.

I did these two sketches on a Sunday morning, when the lobby was relatively quiet. And yes, I used my “Urban Sketchers Viewfinder” to crop & frame the views!

5 comments:

  1. The fine linework! Not a line out of place either. Likewise the perspectives. Staggering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great composition. Love how you fill up the whole page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what challenging perspectives done in a nice charming way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff!! Love your meticulous line work and your keen observation for details and architecture.

    ReplyDelete