19 December 2010

Sketches from the REACH Pre-Budget Dialogue Session

















A sketch of Neo, the cameraman and some participants during the REACH pre-budget dialogue session at the 17th floor in the MCYS* building at Thomson Road. 15.12.2010. Mr Neo was, of course, aware that I drew him and he seemed to like it. His fellow photographer wanted to be sketched too! Sadly, the photographer was moving about a lot and was seldom in front of me, but rather, behind me!

It was hosted by Dr. Amy Khor, a deputy secretary from the Ministry of Finance and the REACH team.























A woman named Adelaide had stood up and spoke on mental health issues as did many many other people. The session went well overtime. There was a wide diversity of views. There were, of course, the few usual self-important people who were there to 'score' points. Ugh.


















Here is a sketch of Rachel Lin, the reporter from the Straits Times. She had a reporter's spiral notebook (it says so on the cover!) and a voice recorder which recorded the event.

Pigment ink and watercolours. Uni pigment ink pens, Van Gogh watercolours. 150mm x 210mm sketches (for the first and third). A-Zone A5 sketchbook.

*Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports

5 comments:

  1. interesting sketches. I like your combination of hatch lines and watercolour. If I may give a helpful tip, that would be to not lift your watercolour brush off the paper so much. Put it down on the paper, and spread it around to cover the areas instead. That will keep your paintings from looking patchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew, I will try that next. Heheh. I have another sketch of a Chinese restaurant which I would be painting later today. I will keep my brush on the paper and try that. 135 gsm paper (drawing block) though. Still, it should suffice with its thickness.

    I also have two more complicated ones of the lobby of Goodwood Park Hotel and Starbucks which are double the size of this one to paint. And lastly, two of the pianist Chisato Kusunoki in a performance.

    I have some 160 gsm and 200 gsm paper lying around. I am a little loathed to use 270 and 300 gsm paper for fast sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or squeeze enough water so the brush and paper stay wet as you paint - just to avoid the water streaks... unless you like them.

    I thought you have a very interesting way of drawing people's faces... I like them - I like the very raw feel - truthful, sincere, and undecorated way of drawing people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don, I have learned to hold the wet brush on my left hand and paint with a brush with pigment on my right. I did a large piece (a dolmen on a knoll) this way a few weeks ago which I have not posted yet. I will try that.

    I have also bought two Chinese brushes with a water container and those hold a lot of water. I will be experimenting in time to come.

    I do want some water streaks as textures (not too much) but I haven't the precision in some instances. In others, it is clear that the one should avoid them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding faces, I have wondered if I should utilise a more stylised means as often illustrated in American sketchbooks (think Clark Kent) from a few decades ago. Well, I will experiment in future. In the meantime, I will stick to this form for now.

    ReplyDelete