08 March 2011

Best Thing Ever Happened to Me in 2010

After sketching at Thow Kwang Jungle Pottery a fortnight ago, a few of us gathered for supper at Kembangan. Eric said the best thing that ever happened to him in 2010 was to meet this amazingly talented group of sketchers. I couldn't agree more!

It was the July sketchwalk at Joo Chiat that I first joined USk-SG. I knew nobody in the group then, but just a couple of sketchwalks later, I knew almost everyone (well, most of the regulars) and everyone knew me too... apart from sketching, we share techniques, tools, tips, etc. and encourage one another to keep improving.... with some jokes and banters thrown in, be it in real life or online (usually via facebook)!

Here's one of my sketches at my first sketchwalk in Joo Chiat


Thereafter, I caught the sketching bug....

Sketched while having breakfast in my workplace cafeteria


Sketched in Pulau Ubin

Sketched in Grand Canyon during my US trip

Sketched at Toast Box, a local cafe

More to come....

8 comments:

  1. Great job on those sketches! Could see you'd gone through various sketchbooks and drawing materials from these pics! LOL

    I was similarly changed after joining the group last year too, and being among so many different and talented sketchers has shaped my own "style".

    That said, I am also grateful that you introduced us to the Singapore Watercolour Society that day after the Joo Chiat sketch walk, for that has pushed me to get a proper watercolour palette (albeit a travel-sized one for starters) and add colour to my line sketches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marvin, long overdued post! I was hoping to see you post much earlier but better late than none.

    Love the sketches and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sketches! Welcome to the club...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edric, you're welcome! I can see you always colour your sketches now. *Immitating CSC* "Whheeeeeeeeee!"

    Tia, paiseh it took sooooo long! :P

    Parka, yeap!

    Thanks, Don & Paul :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the post. This is a wonderful group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love the Toast Box sketch!
    Do you mind if I use your sketch for my presentation on sketching?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, lhj.
    I don't mind at all, I'd love to help. Just e-mail me at marvin@marvinchew.com to intro yourself and tell me more about your presentation.

    ReplyDelete