06 June 2011

Aduana Ruins - The Old Customs House, Manila


Ok, I admit that old buildings & ruins interest me much more as sketching subjects than most examples of modern architecture. Some of my favorite subjects to draw may include any of the following: chipped paint, mould, broken & rusting objects and a sense of disorder.
I had been eyeing the ruins of the Aduana Customs House in Intramuros, Manila, for almost 2 months; it's a classic example of ruins - a 135-year old stone building, destroyed in turn by the bombings of Manila in 1945, a fire in 1979, and thru general neglect since. And it's slightly out of the main tourist belt of Intramuros, so many people probably miss it.
I had to sketch my view of the interior looking through the gated windows - it's guarded & closed to the public, to keep squatters out. Looking in at the array of mouldy, scorched arches and cracked & chipped stone beams exposed to the sky gave me a thrill, and a sense of the history of this place!
The old rusting cement mixer sitting amongst the weeds & broken cement was an added bonus to the sketch.

2 comments:

  1. Love the sketch, and also all the spanish words still left in the Philipines: aduana, intramuros.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and love the composition. I thought it is under renovation with the cement mixer in your sketch till I read the post.

    ReplyDelete