17 April 2015

Drawing small in The Perfect Sketchbook

Below are some sketches I drew in The Perfect Sketchbook, a small 3.5 by 5 inch sketchbook that was made possible by a successful Kickstarter campaign. Unfortunately, the sketchbook is not sold commercially and is available only to those who backed the project.

Anyway, this post is about drawing small. This is the smallest sketchbook I've drawn on. I like detail work and I imagined this sketchbook would be extremely challenging to work on. It's challenging sure, but it's a different sort of challenge.

Drawing on a small sketchbook requires some different skills than drawing on a larger sketchbook. The most important of course is to be able to simplify your art. That would be making important subjects more prominent, not sweating the small details.

Sometimes it's fun to break out of your comfort zone to grab a different material to work with, in this case for me a sketchbook size that I don't usually work with.


Drawn at Changi Airport


A talk inside a bookstore


Singapore skyline from the Esplanade waterfront.


Student hostel at Nanyang Technological University of Singapore.


Singapore Art Museum

- Parka

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you - I encountered similar challenges when drawing on the perfect sketchbook. but it's good because it forces me to focus and choose the objects to focus on and simplify. sometimes I wish I had more space for details though. anyway although simple, your drawings still look good.

    ReplyDelete